Sunday, January 29, 2012

GF Banana doughnuts w/banana frosting

At the first sight of this recipe, I could already feel myself imagining what a banana doughnut might taste like. And let me tell you, it was a trillion times better than what I could have ever imagined! I have bought doughnuts from our local GF store many times before, but they are the frozen kind, the kind that also, when unfrozen, are thick and heavy so much so that you practically need 2-3 full sized glasses of milk sitting waiting beside you to wash it all down! These were NOTHING like those. In fact, I fed one to my non celiac husband, and he said he couldn't really tell they were GF! (Yay, score me!) So before I share this amazing recipe with you, I want to tell you 2 things.

#1. Go buy THIS book. An amazing gf cooking momma of 4 lent me this book and I am completely in love with it! ( AND I hate cook books!) Whether you are new to a GF diet, or not. So many fabulous recipes, and SO worth the buy! Cooking for Isaiah

#2. You will have to pre-make your own flour in order for this recipe to turn out fabulous. Just trust me, it's worth it and much better than any pre-made GF All Purpose Flour you can buy! The Cooking for Isaiah cookbook has the flour recipe, but I will also share it here! ;) I was able to go to a local bulk food store for all the flours, Bulk Barn if that helps.

#3. And I forgot to mention that you need a doughnut cooking pan for this recipe! You can get them at Home Outfitters, but I managed to score mine at a thrift store for much less ;)

Now onto the baking!
For the All purpose flour you will need;


All Purpose Flour;
- 6 cups rice flour
- 3 cups tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 cups potato starch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons xantham gum



Mix all of the ingredients into a BIG bowl and store in an airtight container. Make sure it is pretty larger, this makes a good quantity.

Okay, now on to the good stuff!


Banana Doughnuts with Banana Frosting!

Doughnuts
- 1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil


Step 1.
Preheat oven to 350. Grease your pan(s). (I only had 1 pan so had to do 3 seperate batches). In a bowl whisk the; flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamin.

Step 2.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the; eggs, granulated sugar, banana's, vanilla & oil. Once that is mixed well, you can dump the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, and mix together until it is well combined.

Step 3.
Then take fill each doughnut cup about three quarters full. (I made the mistake of over filling and the first batch came out with no hole!)
Put in the pre-heated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes! Let the doughnuts cool completely before trying to ice them.

Now for the frosting!

Frosting
- 1/4 cup all vegtable shortening
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1/2 banana. I used a full banana)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice


While your doughnuts are baking you can whip this up real quick!

Take a small bowl (not a cereal bowl, tried this and it went everywhere!) Beat together the shortening and confectioners sugar until fluffy. Then beat in the banana, cinnamon, vanilla, and lemon juice. When the doughnuts are cooled off, just spread the frosting over the cooled doughnuts and your done!
Seriously the best doughnuts I have ever eaten.

Cooking for Isaiah has a ton of great recipes, including more doughnut recipes like sugar and spiced doughnuts, and chocolate dipped chocolate doughnuts. That's just to name a few of my weakness'...
There are sections on breakfast, starters & salads, soups rice & pasta, sandwiches & pizza, main dishes and more! A great buy if you cook GF, I seriously hate cooking and I cannot wait to try everything in this book!

I was going to upload some pictures of my finished products but just realized they are sitting on my phone. Perhaps I will figure out how to add them here someday, but for now I guess you will just have to make these yourself to see how fabulous they are!

Found the picture!!!


Now share, share, SHARE, with your GF friends! =D



1 comment:

  1. Yummy! That looks like a great recipe! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Thank you also for coming by my blog - looking forward to following and reading your sweet blog too! Hope your week is going well, xo.

    ReplyDelete