Monday, February 27, 2012

How to kick a nasty cold while still being mommy...

It happened. That dreaded cold/flu bug hit our household. But instead of the usual "everyone gets sick and mommy takes care of everybody (hubby included)" this mommy ended up getting sick. So how am I managing this nasty bug and my kids? To be honest, I'm not. Lol. I have the most incredible husband who has done whatever he can to help me out while still working. But I also have a great mom who made me a pot of chicken noodle soup, and a niece who spent the good part of the day at my house wrangling the twins while I went in and out of consciousness. Of course, there are a few other tricks I tried!

- hot, hot bath with 2 cups Epsom salts! Helped relief my aching body and clear my stuffy nostrils.
- LOT'S of tea, and airborne!
- lots of water.
- napping when they nap! (or not) I blocked off the kitchen and contaiedn them to the living room and put on their favorite tv show to ensure they just sat there! Just laying and resting helps.
- Tylenol cold and flu is your best friend when sick! (daytime/nighttime is my favorite!)
- vicks vapor rub. Just smear a little on the outside of your nose, it will clear them right up!
- abandon ALL unnecessary duties. NO housework! Just accept the fact that your sick and let it go. Rest is a priority! (this one is always hard for me...)
- call family and friends who love your kids. I called mom :)

After all is said and done, I am still feeling like crap. But its almost bedtime in this house. Yay! Then this momma will drug up, go to bed, and hopefully sleep off this nasty bug. Because lets face it, a mothers work is never done and does not yield to any sickness of any kind! :(
What helps you when your sick and still have to be momma?

1 comment:

  1. Aww I'm sorry that you got sick and I hope you are feeling better soon. I remember when I was a nanny and I still had to watch the kids - it was so hard trying to maintain enough energy to take care of them and still be sick, so I give you props. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete